About Me

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
I have always been interested in art, color, and the fundamentals of design. As a child, I designed furniture and built rooms for Barbie instead of actually playing with Barbie. I am always looking for ways to improve and update my indoor and outdoor living spaces...I have many ideas and opinions about how I want decorate my home while still maintaining a budget. This blog site will encompass many ideas, DIY projects, recipes, travel experiences, and tips that I've acquired over the years and from my Grandmother. All photographic images are directly from my home and I welcome all visitors to get inspired by any or all of the ideas that I post.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hand Painted Wall Treatment

I live in a tri-level back split home. I'm always looking for ways to unify the three levels of my home in unique and interesting ways. I love the color green, probably due to my love of the outdoors and bringing the "outside...inside". I have some element of green in every level of my home, this not only unifies the spaces but brings a level of cohesiveness when going from floor to floor. The lower level of my home features a beautiful chair that I wanted to use as an inspiration piece. The leaf design on the chair features a kiwi green color that I love plus additional colors of aquamarine blue, tan, and a medium blue color all outlined by chocolate brown. The background color for my wall was hand mixed with yellow and an aqua blue to achieve the perfect warm shade of green that I wanted. Using the leaf pattern in the chair as a reference, I penciled in the different stems and leaves to create an interesting layout. I then took flat white indoor latex paint to hand paint the stems and leaves. The background color was important to be dark enough for the contrast with the white paint. I randomly filled in certain leaves with white paint, plus painted a few leaves in creamy ivory and warm gray. The ivory is the main color of the first floor of my house and the gray was used in stripes on the upper floor hallway. Overall, I love the effect and it truely turned out better than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment