About Me

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
I have always been interested in art, color, and the fundamentals of design. As a child, I designed furniture and built rooms for Barbie instead of actually playing with Barbie. I am always looking for ways to improve and update my indoor and outdoor living spaces...I have many ideas and opinions about how I want decorate my home while still maintaining a budget. This blog site will encompass many ideas, DIY projects, recipes, travel experiences, and tips that I've acquired over the years and from my Grandmother. All photographic images are directly from my home and I welcome all visitors to get inspired by any or all of the ideas that I post.

Monday, October 10, 2011

My Great-Grandmother's Romantic Cake Recipe

This recipe has been handed down through the generations of my family. In honor of Sweetest Day coming up on October 15th...I thought I would share with you my Great-Grandmother's Romantic Cake recipe. It's not your typical recipe because this cake includes dates and shortening. I know my grandmother used to use lard, but crisco will be fine for the shortening. It is written in steps rather than ingredients first and then instructions. With that in mind, making this delicious cake is a nod to the past and is sure to be a hit. I have requested this cake every year for my birthday...it's not too sweet but sooo tasty!

ROMANTIC CAKE

Cut up 1 cup of dates. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the dates. When cool add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

Cream 1 cup shortening and 1 cup of sugar. Add 2 beaten eggs and blend well.

Sift 1 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, and 1 teaspoon salt.

Add flour mix and date mix (alternating a little at a time) to creamed mix and beat well.

Pour in greased 8x8 square pan and sprinkle top of batter with 1/2 package of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts, but any nut of your choice will be fine)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

When cooled, sift powdered sugar all over the top of the cake. Enjoy!

Romantic Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment