About Me

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
I have always been interested in art, color, and the fundamentals of design. As a child, I designed furniture and built rooms for Barbie instead of actually playing with Barbie. I am always looking for ways to improve and update my indoor and outdoor living spaces...I have many ideas and opinions about how I want decorate my home while still maintaining a budget. This blog site will encompass many ideas, DIY projects, recipes, travel experiences, and tips that I've acquired over the years and from my Grandmother. All photographic images are directly from my home and I welcome all visitors to get inspired by any or all of the ideas that I post.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Painting Concrete With A Concrete Stain

Who likes a boring patio? My gray patio looked dull and did not accentuate the exterior color scheme of my home...so I decided to change it. After a lot of trials...the best product was H&C Silicone Acrylic Concrete Sealer. This product has many color options, the three colors I used were Aztec Sand (HC 136) for the all over background color (2 coats), Terracotta Orange (HC159), and Terra Cotta (HC167) for the "stones".

STEP 1: Clean the patio. Sweep it! Clean it! Rinse it! I used bleach water and an old scrub brush and tried to remove any stains or dirt and rinsed with the garden hose and let dry. A power washer would work well too.

STEP 2: With a long handle roller, apply the background color. Since I was using a light background color I applied 2 coats. Follow directions regarding drying time in between coats.

STEP 3: I chose to encorporate a center medallion and blocked that first. I didn't use a template, I did it all by eye and freehand. I first painted all the large stones that would act as anchor stones. I alternated between the 2 colors and painted each stone by hand allowing space in between each faux stone. Switch up sizes and shapes and have fun with it!

STEP 4: H&C also makes an etching solution to use after all the painting is done. I live in Wisconsin and winters can be brutal on this surface. I would recommend putting on a minimum of 3 coats and use the etching additive so the surface is not too smooth. I clean the patio every spring and add another coat of sealer.

TIPS: Please don't skip the last step! After all the hard work of painting the patio, the LAST thing you want is flaking, chipping, and peeling. DO NOT put sidewalk salt on the painted patio...I learned that the hard way. Do not use a power washer on the patio after it's been painted! Due to traffic volume, toys, pets, and outdoor furniture, realize that the patio will not stay "perfect" for long. Accept the little scrapes and dirt that will accumulate and add to it's texture and look of authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment