About Me

My photo
Wisconsin, United States
I have always been interested in art, color, and the fundamentals of design. As a child, I designed furniture and built rooms for Barbie instead of actually playing with Barbie. I am always looking for ways to improve and update my indoor and outdoor living spaces...I have many ideas and opinions about how I want decorate my home while still maintaining a budget. This blog site will encompass many ideas, DIY projects, recipes, travel experiences, and tips that I've acquired over the years and from my Grandmother. All photographic images are directly from my home and I welcome all visitors to get inspired by any or all of the ideas that I post.

Monday, August 29, 2011

FUN GARDEN ART

Many outdoor sculptures add a touch of whimsy and the unexpected. Visitors are surprised when meandering through my garden because of the fun and interesting ways I add my own charm and artistic expression. The outside of my home reflects personality and character which also adds curb appeal and a very welcoming feeling. Some of my garden collection was given to me as gifts from family members. Those presents are very precious to me and always have a special place in the garden. My son gave me a beautiful angel statue for Mother's Day one year and my husband bought me the St. Francis water fountain as a birthday present.

I have collected many items throughout the years and I enjoy going to rummage/estate sales, thrift stores, and my local garden centers to see what strikes me and is affordable. I could spend hundreds of dollars on items for the
garden but I enjoy the hunt for new and different pieces but on a budget. I purchased a terra cotta "welcome" tile from our vacation in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This tile is placed at the entrance of my courtyard and it makes me smile and remember our first visit out west. My house currently features colors of cream siding, terra cotta trim, and white soffits and edges. Since blue and orange are opposites on the color wheel, I placed different hues of blue accent pieces around my yard.   

Although I cannot possibly picture all of the garden art featured in my yard, I can pass on a few tips I look for when purchasing or making garden art:
  

St. Francis water feature

Unexpected Frog
  1. Find items that you love and reflect you.
  2. Placing garden art peeking out of a shrub or ground cover creates the unexpected.
  3. Add contrasting colored pots, spheres, or iron wall hangings.
  4. Start small-use a theme. Birds, butterflies or angels create a cohesive theme in the garden.
  5. Look at thrift stores and garage sales for inexpensive touches of whimsy. Garden art doesn't need to be expensive.
  6. Add a place to sit in an unusual location...always allow yourself to enjoy the garden from a different perspective.
 
Garden art can go a long way to enhance a home's beauty, charm, and
curb appeal.




No comments:

Post a Comment